Map of Pembroke
Map of Cambridge
- Includes street view so you can check out Cambridge
- Add your own annotations
A Cambridge Dictionary
- Bedder - A member of housekeeping. They come empty your bin and vacuum your floor once a week. Leave your bin outside your door if you don't want to be disturbed!
- Blue - Someone awarded a "blue" for playing high level university sport
- Boatie - A rower, someone who loves lycra and early mornings
- BOP - A party in the JP at the start and end of each term. Bring some fancy dress!
- DoS - Director of Studies - they run the academic side of your life
- Easter - The third and final term, aka exam term
- Ents - Short for entertainments. The ents officers will be putting on events throughtout the year
- Formal - A fancy three or four course meal in hall. Usually available everynight.
- Lent - The second term
- GP - The Graduate Parlour - a social space for graduate students
- GPC - The Graduate Parlour Commitee - like the JPC but for graduate students
- GYP - A little kitchen found in college staircases. Has some hobs and a microwave for preparing small meals and snacks
- Hostel - A college owned house. Second and third years often live in hostels
- JP - The Junior Parlour - a social space next to the café/bar, has a pool table and table football. Also, the collective name for the undergraduate body.
- JPC - The Junior Parlour Committee - that's us. We're here to provide welfare support, put on ents, represent the undergraduate body at college meetings, and try and be as helpful as possible
- Mathmo - Someone who studies maths
- Matriculation - The process by which you join the college
- May Week - A week in June?! Often the highlight of people's year, this week after exams includes garden parties, May Balls, and hopefully plenty of sunshine
- Michaelmas - The first term
- NatSci - (Nat Ski) Someone who studies natural sciences. Often prefixed with bio (for biological) or phys (for physical) according to their specialism
- New Museums - The New Museums Site - right across the road from Pembroke. Many first year maths and science lectures happen here. Convenient!
- Pidge - The post room where your pigeon hole is. There are also welfare supplies in here
- Plodge - The porter's lodge. There is always a porter on duty here
- Porter - These lovely people are essential to the daily running of college and are always available to help. Spend most of their time dealing with students' self inflicted problems - whether you've lost your keys, set off the fire alarm, or can't get home after a night out, these are the people to call. Probably should come with a sarcasm warning!
- Sidge - The Sidgewick site - home to many humanities faculties and libraries
- SU - The newly merged student union replacing CUSU (Cambridge University Student Union) and the GU (Graduate Union)
- Trough - The Pembroke canteen or buttery. Sells dinner, lunch, and made to order breakfast at a significant discount to Pembroke students
- Tripos - Your course or the exams counting towards your degree. The name is believed to come from the three-legged stools that were used during oral examinations